Saturday 21 April 2012

The Wallace Collection


The art in the Wallace collection varied from beautiful paintings, to ornate furniture and china. The paintings were all produced in the 18th century and the details of the pieces were rather breath taking. The only drawback of the paintings were that the subject matter was mostly game hunting and dead animals (beautiful paintings, but not really my cup of tea as I rather like animals and don’t approve of hunting.) The period furniture was also rather artistic and aesthetically pleasing compared to the furniture produced today, as there were little reliefs and carvings here and there that added an artistic flare and elegance to something simple like a chair or dresser. The various china and other porcelain statues and trinkets were a joy to look at, as they were so detailed and beautiful to look at. The historic London town house that the art resides in is itself beautiful and reminded me of the Arkley mansion from the Resident Evil survival horror game (which was rather handy for a project I am doing, but unfortunately photography wasn’t allowed.) one of the drawbacks of the Wallace collection was that I couldn’t seem to find the names of the artists or carpenters anywhere, this may be my fault but it is a shame as I couldn’t really reference any specific piece from the collection.

No comments:

Post a Comment